Friday, May 10, 2013

Written Anayysis Wrap-Up



The Real Housewives Series



Taking a closer look into the series The Real Housewives, I learned to think about the program from a different point of view than the average viewer. I gained insight with each week. With that insight, I now feel that I have a better understanding as to the influence reality television has on popular culture. I feel that the theory of formula and the theory of cult of personality are the most noticeable theories in this reality television program.
            The enormous success of this series has been nothing short of unbelievable. The interest Bravo has stirred up by allowing us to take a look into the lives of those that appear to have it all was, in my opinion, a brilliant move on their part. I feel what has held our interest is the formulas that the show uses to keep us on the edge of our seats. The constant conflict and drama is a formula that makes viewers coming back for more.  Why do we watch every week? We want to see what is going to happen next, that’s why. We get entertainment out of the backstabbing, the arguments, the over-the-top lifestyles and the all together craziness these shows give us. I feel that so many people who tune into this program does it for 60 minutes of mindless entertainment.  So many of us live such busy lives and when you have 60 minutes to just escape you day to day routine, that in itself is relaxing.
            When I began digging a little deeper into The Real Housewives franchise, I was discovered that there are many different cities that are focused on in this series. The original show being Orange County, but in addition to that there is New York, New Jersey, Miami, Atlanta, D.C. and Beverly Hills.  It seems to have spread like wildfire and it doesn’t show any signs of slowing down anytime soon. The series has given its reality television cast many opportunities. Some cast members have begun their own businesses, became actors on hit programs and even started singing careers. Regardless of where they are in life, it all started by allowing the cameras inside their homes.
            To some a show like The Real Housewives is pointless and mind numbing, maybe it is. But the bottom line is that Bravo found a something that the public enjoys and they ran with it. Reality television may have a bad rap in the whole scheme of things, but is reality television is so taboo, why are there so many networks jumping on the reality band wagon? I have learned a lot from this project. Like I said, I view the reality program in a different way, but I am still a reality TV fan and look forward to many years of The Real Housewives drama.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment