Thursday, April 11, 2013

Icon Analysis

                                                                      Icon Analysis

The three icons I chose to focus on are Dunkin' Donuts, Coach Handbags and the movie “It's A Wonderful Life” Dunkin' Donuts was founded in 1950 in Quincy Massachusetts. Dunkin' Donuts is the world's leading baked goods and coffee chain in the US. Whether it is the 52 different donuts they offer or the classic coffee that gets your day started, Dunkin' Donuts is the best start to a morning. My second icon is Coach handbags. Coach was founded in 1941 as a family-run business. Coach is a perfect example of a classic American style that has withstood the test of time. From the beautiful bags to the comfortable clothing, nothing says style like this brand. Speaking of American classics, the movie “It's a Wonderful Life” shows how easy it is to forget the good things in life. This now beloved Christmas classic has not only become tradition in my home, but in homes across the world. The way the community pulls together for one of its own touches the heart of anyone who watches it.


Dunkin' Donuts was first introduced to me on my first trip to NYC. I immediately fell in love with the rich coffee flavor and the over whelming choices of donuts. There were many years that I wasn't able to get Dunkin' Donuts in my area so my father-in-law would send me coffee from New York. I always looked forward to getting that package and in a small way I think that gave he and I a special little bond. Every summer when my family and I go to NYC to visit family, my vacation isn't
complete until I have the traditional cup of coffee.


Coach Handbags is one of my most favorite things in the entire world. I love to treat myself to a beautiful new handbag and matching wallet. I think Coach is a perfect example of a classy brand that never goes out of style. Many people say that a handbag is simply a “container” for my personal belongings, I disagree. I look at my bags as an extension of my personality. If I am feeling “sassy” I may choose a bright color or floral print. If I need to be a little more conservative, then a traditional solid color bag would be the best choice. Regardless of the reason, shopping for Coach bags makes me feel good about myself. I never have to worry about if the size fits, I only have to worry about whether they have the matching wallet. ; )



It's a Wonderful Life. Those four little words have so much meaning to me. Tradition, family, friends, love, these are only a few things this movie stands for. A Christmas classic about a small town man who is given the gift of seeing what life would be like if he had never been born and seeing how his life had touched the lives of others is a lesson we all could learn from. At some point in each of our lives we get caught up in the day-to-day drama and forget that we have an impact on other people. This movie reminds us of that. I love the wholesome feel the movie has and the innocent nature the characters bring to life. This movie will always be one of the holiday traditions in my family. My children have grown up watching it and hopefully my grandchildren will as well. In the busy and hectic world we live in it's nice to escape to a place where “No man is a failure who has friends”.



 References:

Retrieved from http://www.dunkindonuts.com/content/dunkindonuts/en/company.html

Coach, I. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.coach.com/online/handbags/genWCM-10551-10051-en-/Coach_US/CompanyInformation/InvestorRelations/CompanyProfile

Dirks, T. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.filmsite.org/itsa.html




No comments:

Post a Comment